Syrian Olympic team hopeful despite turbulence back home

on Monday, July 30, 2012


Despite the seriousness of the situation in Syria the country’s athletes are determined to make an impact in the London Olympics.
In the last games they won 3 medals.
The Syrian committee says it knows its competitors are finding it difficult to be away from friends and family in the war-torn country but that they are still concentrating on the competition.
Ghfran Almouhamad will be racing in the 400m hurdles: “My feeling is of happiness because it is the dream of every athlete to be in such a sporting event. So yes, I’m very happy and hopefully I’ll do something for my country and raise the flag for my country.”
Syrian organisers say their athletes are in regular communication with their families back home to make sure they are safe.
Syria’s bantamweight boxer Wessam Slamana, said: “I came here to represent Syrian boxing and the Syrian people who’ll be pleased to watch me fight here. We are doing this to make them happy and ease the pain.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment